Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Eating Turkey in Turkey

Let me just start by saying that I have been planning that blog title since this summer! :)  We've been excited about celebrating Thanksgiving with the teams in Turkey since we first heard of the possibility.  But as high as my expectations were (sorry ESI- I broke the first rule of living overseas!), it was even better than I expected.

First of all, Antalya is gorgeous.  From the first glimpse out of the airplane window, I knew it was going to be pretty spectacular.

 
And it only improved on closer acquaintance.  We stayed at a hotel in the old city, with orange trees growing in the courtyard.  It was quite picturesque, to say the least.  Stone pavements, narrow alleys, the occasional stunning view of the Mediterranean, and plenty of charming little carpet and souvenir shops ready to take us tourists for all we were worth! 
 
The cultural center where we had our meetings (the place
with the red shutters), only a 5-10 minute walk from our hotel
 
No filters, no playing around with the colors... and it was even more amazing
in person. (photo credit goes to Stephanie, one of our teachers on the Turkey team)
 
Just chillin' on the Mediterranean.  No big deal.
 
Thursday was our busiest day, by far.  Rachael, Colleen, and I, along with the girls from KZ arrived in the morning after travelling most of the night, and we got there just in time for the first of several group sessions.  The people who run the cultural center (and cafe) where we met agreed to make Thanksgiving dinner for us, which was a huge blessing.  It was absolutely delicious with all the traditional dishes- even pumpkin pie for dessert!  Since we didn't have to cook or clean up, we were free to have most of our sessions that day, which in turn freed up most of the weekend for sightseeing and hanging out.

On Friday afternoon the entire group rented a tour boat to take us up the coast and back.  We started out at 3:30, and it was a two hour tour.  There was one moment in particular, standing at the bow after the sun had set, but before it started getting really dark, that is etched in my memory.  I can't even begin to describe how exquisite it was.  My camera couldn't capture the depth of colors, but here's my best shot anyway.
 

 
But even had I been able to take a perfect picture, to capture all the colors, shadows, and forms, that would only be a fraction of the experience.  Imagine the gentle rocking of the boat, the soft breeze in your face, the air just cool enough to be refreshing without being too cold.  Try to hear the lapping of water against the side of the boat, the faint sound of the guitar as Jim and Rachel play wrship music in the background.  The sound of laughter and conversations is just loud enough to feel enveloped by the easy camaraderie of the group without detracting from the absolute peace and stillness of the moment.  It's the kind of beauty that takes your breath away, that bursts forth in spontaneous praise simply because you can't keep it inside any longer.  Even now I find myself overwhelmed as I remember and try to describe it.  How anyone can experience such beauty and not believe in the One who created it is beyond me.
 
Besides the boat tour, we spent our days in sessions, exploring the city, and just hanging out with friends we hadn't seen in months.  Several of us got together two out of the three nights for swing dancing parties!  The first night there were only three of us, so we spent the evening looking up fun new moves on youtube and trying to figure them out.  I haven't laughed so much in ages.   And I have to say, one of the highlights of the weekend was getting to hang out with our guy friends.  After living for months in a culture where the genders don't mix very much, on an all-girl team, it was a refreshing change!


This is the first time, at least in my years with ESI, that we've had more than two city teams together for the holidays, let alone four countries.  So many phenomenal people in one place, singing, laughing, crying, hugging, playing, walking, talking, dancing, and praising together is something you don't get every day.  I am so thankful for all the wonderful people we're privileged to know, and for the opportunity to spend time with each other in one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.  I only wish it could have lasted longer.


The whole group of us on Thanksgiving- 31 in all.

And now it's time to go back to our respective cities, jobs, and friends, refreshed and encouraged.  Although Rachael, Colleen, and I are already planning our next trip back to Turkey!

I've posted more pictures of the trip on my "Pictures" page, if you want to check them out.

No comments: