Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Homecoming

Coming home from living overseas is exciting for so many reasons. There are the obvious, big things, like seeing friends and family again. But there are so many small things too- familiar stores, restaurants, brand names... being able to understand what people are saying around you... knowing exactly where to go if you need something... favorite foods. Basically, just being in a world that is familiar, that you understand. It's exciting. My family and I are somewhat used to that aspect of it by now. One of the first things my parents ask me when they pick me up from the airport, after "How was your flight?", is "Where do you want to eat dinner?"

What I didn't expect was the second feeling of homecoming I experienced when I flew into Atlanta on my way out of the country. Chick-fil-A, Quiktrip, Checkers, Steak and Shake, the Braves, sweet tea, a chch on every corner, southern hospitality... it would seem that no matter how far I travel or how long I stay away, I'm a southern girl at heart! It was so nice to get to see two of my best friends again, and my sister and her family. But it definitely made it harder to leave. As the plane rose higher and higher, I found myself watching for one last glimpse of home. As dramatic as it sounds, I just couldn't look away or let myself take a nap (though I was exhausted) knowing that when I woke up I wouldn't see it again for a year.

It got better when I got to Frankfurt and met up with the rest of my team. But I wasn't prepared for the amazing way our Father planned to help me through it. We got to Karaganda with no problems (though there was a little concern over our lack of transit visas in Moscow) and the director of our school was there with two drivers to pick us up and take us to our new flat. We arrived early in the morning, and as we were driving accross the steppe toward the city, the early morning sun shining on the grass, little villages and herds of horses in the distance, I was struck with how much I love this country. I LOVE this country, and this city, and these people. I am so glad to be back.

This is home, too.

How am I so lucky to have so many places to call home? Atlanta, Las Vegas, Houston, St. Petersburg, Karaganda... so many cities full of dear friends and memories. They say home is where the heart is. Well, to quote my friend Jillann, "my heart is all over the world." It's a beautiful thing. Our Father is so good.

Welcome home, Molly.

1 comment:

christ-in. said...

love it. you are an inspiration molly. sending you much love and peace of mind~
love, christin