Wednesday, September 15, 2010

From Russia with Love

Well, I've been here a week now... I guess it's time to update my blog, huh? Between settling into our new apartment (video tour to follow) and meeting our classes on our second full day in St Pete (!) we haven't had a lot of time to explore the city. But we've had our share of little adventures nonetheless. Like the woman who pulled us onto the metro with her so she could give us directions, only to tell us that we should have gotten on the train going in the opposite direction. :) Good thing we were only on the way to the supermarket, not to class!

On Sunday we met a friend of a friend, Anya, who took us and another German girl (Elizabeth) to her Sunday services and then to lunch afterwards. We decided to walk to the restaurant instead of taking the metro, which gave us our first up close glimpse of some of the landmarks we'd only seen in pictures. It also gave us our first awesome, if tourist-y, photo opportunity!



I had my first typical overseas teaching experience on Tuesday when I went to print out my lesson plan and materials only to find that I hadn't saved them in the correct format and couldn't open them on the office computer! So Erica and I quickly brainstormed ways to do my reading lesson without having the actual text for the students to read. Yikes! I ended up telling them the story and having them work in groups to write down the gist of it (and I took the opportunity to teach them the word 'gist' :) ). It worked out well enough, but I will definitely be more careful of how I format my documents from now on!

All in all, not a bad way to start our year here in St. Pete!

PS. Check out my "Thoughts" page at the top for updated requests

No comments: