For the past few weeks, the sermons at church have been on relationships, primarily marriage, but also touching on parent-child and other relationships. This week and next week’s sermons are on the text Ephesians 5:33, which tells husbands to love their wives and wives to respect their husbands. The entire service yesterday, Michelle and I were convinced that what he was saying was taken from two books that we’ve read, “For Women Only” and “For Men Only.” Since the sermon reminded me of them, I thought I’d take the opportunity to tell everyone back home about them.
I discovered these books at training in July. Michelle brought them and was passing them around to everyone. The first book, “For Women Only” is by Shaunti Feldhahn. She began interviewing men as research for a novel she was writing, but the things she discovered were so amazing to her that she expanded her research methods and eventually wrote this book with her findings. She created a survey with the help of a US Census Department survey writer. They surveyed thousands of men of every age, race, religion, marital status, and economic status. She also conducted personal interviews with 400 men. The book explores 7 or 8 basic truths that she found most men had in common, but of which most women are completely clueless.
It was eye opening, to say the least. Several different guys at training read the book and they all commented on how accurate it was. Some even said that it explained things that they themselves were unable to put into words. Even though I am not married, I was able to apply most of it to my relationships with other men in my life, like my father and my male friends. After reading it, I began to see a lot of things in a different light, including some mistakes that I had unwittingly made.
A few years after “For Women Only” was published, the author’s husband, Jeff, decided to write the companion book, “For Men Only.” He used the same research techniques as his wife, this time focusing on women. It is incredible. There was one paragraph that said, in so many words, exactly what I had often wished I could tell guys. It is so insightful.
I really think that everyone should read these books. Those of you who have been married for many years may already know much of what is in them, but it would still be worth checking out. And even single people could benefit from reading them. Because it’s really just about men and women, period.
Okay, that’s my shameless plug. Read them. They’re awesome.
No comments:
Post a Comment