And two nights ago I did my laundry by hand for the first time. I can’t believe I managed to put it off this long. Cat’s been doing it since we got here, but I’ve always managed to take a load or two over to one of the other American’s apartments (everyone seems to have washing machines but us). But I always felt a bit guilty about it, like I was shirking part of the experience. So I finally did it on Wednesday night, and it was all I ever expected it to be. I’m still going to take my jeans to someone’s house, but I’ll probably start doing the rest at home. It was so cool.
I’m not even being sarcastic when I rave about doing all this stuff the hard way. I seriously love it. First of all, I’ve always loved old-fashioned things. I feel like I could be a character in one of my favorite books. I could be Jane Eyre or Jo March when I’m hanging my clothes out to dry. Plus, there is so much more satisfaction in something done like that. The sight of a handwritten letter is worth more than an email of twice the length. And never, since the invention of the vacuum, has anyone taken greater pleasure in the sight of a clean rug. I seriously kept sneaking peaks at it the whole evening while people were here.
And just to give you a visual...

Our washing machine, broom, mop, and vacuum. Yay
PS. Joel, this is for you... I wouldn't want to make your job too easy.
1 comment:
I'm so glad I found your blog! I've been looking at the xanga constantly and not finding anything. However I finally saw this link and I love reading your entries! Joel showed us the picture of the hair and I was dying laughing! I also sympathize with the no-washing machine. I took my laundry over to Scott's every week or so. Anyways, just wanted to let you know that you have a faithful reader here. I hope KZ is treating you well as is Assol and I look forward to reading about more adventures. Pass along a hello to Larissa, Nastya, Rema (the cook lady), Saltanat and anyone else who knows us. I can't think too straight right now. Take care! I'm lifting you both up.
Post a Comment