So I was walking to church from the bus stop this morning, wading through almost knee-deep snow, and I actually laughed aloud. I was thinking “I wish all my friends from Georgia, California, Nevada, Florida, etc. could see me now!” I’m really glad there weren’t any nationals around to wonder at the crazy American stumbling up the sidewalk and laughing through mouthfuls of snow. It was beautiful.
Two weeks ago they asked for people to help with the church’s Christmas Eve festivities, and I volunteered. Today we had a meeting and I was put in charge of decorating the church! And I’m not talking a few garlands and wreaths scattered about. They were talking about an entire stable scene set up in the back and huge painted murals on the wall… I’m so excited! Once again, I am in my element. So I got phone numbers of various people who have supplies or can take me shopping and we have a whole group meeting Saturday morning to work on it. I’m going to spend the week brainstorming, painting, and shopping. It works out perfectly, actually. I’ve been quite desperate for a project of some sort, to occupy some of my free time and get me out of the house and around people. And it’s a great artistic outlet. Yay! Good news all around. I will definitely be posting pictures at some point, but it may not be until after New Years.
Speaking of New Years, I’m going to be going to the other K-stan with Mary (another teacher in my city) to visit two of our teachers who are down there. We’re going to be taking the train down, which is apparently an experience like none other. I can’t wait! I have heard so much about the New Years celebrations in this part of the world that I hardly know what to expect. But it is sure to be incredible. People have been setting off fireworks for a week already. We actually stopped class for a few minutes last week to watch some fireworks out the window. I’ve heard that people even fire them off of their balconies. And it’s not just about midnight, like it is in the States. The party continues the whole next day and sometimes even longer, from what I’ve heard. But I think the four of us are planning on taking a break at around 11:00 AM the next morning to celebrate the East Coast New Years too.
Because of all this travelling and the packing and final-grade-calculating that will come immediately beforehand, I probably won’t be able to get online much in the two weeks after Christmas. But after that I will make every effort to log on and post some updates and pictures. But until then, Merry Christmas to all (and to all a good night! – sorry… I just can’t resist a musical or poetical cue that obvious).
No comments:
Post a Comment