As anyone, myself included, could have foreseen, the second and third weeks of training were nothing like the first. Well, the schedule was pretty much the same, but that's about it. Emotionally and spiritually, it was a whole different experience.
Having gotten used to life here, less things are stressing (and therefore stretching) me than that first week. The ways that God is working in my life now are much subtler, and much less fun. But I can still see Him at work in me, so that's all that really counts. I've had a humbling talk or two with Him (never much fun), and my future roomie and I have had our first "we need to talk" talk. But it all turned out better than I could have hoped.
I love the people here more than ever. After practicum (teaching) on Wednesday, we went downtown to celebrate Jeffrey and Charlene's birthdays this week, and it was the most fun I've had in a long time. On the way home Alicia, Michelle, and I were just about delirious from lack of sleep, and we decided to 'practice' for the lack of personal space overseas by practically laying on top of one another, randomly poking each other, and staring Alicia out of countenance. It's hard to get the general hilarity of it if you weren't there, but just take my word for it... we were about to cry with laughing. And Michelle and I start each day with a rousing rendition of the Russian alphabet song (you should hear me sing it sometime... it's great) which I suspect will soon be joined by the new "I don't know" song (to the tune of "Frere Jacque"). I'm surprised Amy, our roommate, hasn't killed us by now, except that she's pretty awesome too.
Even our students at practicum are great. We are fortunate enought to be teaching at the same location every night and rotating among 4 classes of 2-4 students, so we've been able to get to know the students. Francisco, in the Beginning 1 class, is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen. I want to hug him every time I see him. And Jose, from High Intermediate, is hysterical. He is such an extrovert. The day we talked about career, I asked them to use their new vocabulary in a sentence, and he breaks into an entire story about being a pilot and flying over a jungle in Mexico, making sure that I understood that it was "just from his imagination." It is such a satisfying experience teaching English to them. They want to learn so much, and they are so good-humored about everything. I may volunteer as an English teacher someplace once I get back, if there's a need for it wherever I end up.
I'm really getting spoiled for the 'real world' here. I swear, I haven't met a single person who isn't wonderful, nice, friendly, Christian... even the people at Starbucks are really friendly. One girl asked where we were going, and said "God bless you for what you are doing." And I'm starting to get used to it. It's nice. We should try for this on a societal scale... yeah, that would be great.
Anyway, I'm looking forward to the long weekend ahead. A group of 8 of us are going to San Diego tomorrow, and that's going to be fun. But I'm also glad we're going to get back and have a whole day free, to just chill out. I've realised since I got here how important alone time and down time are.
A few prayer requests- humility and general discernment for me, as well as the will and ability to focus on God more than myself. For Michelle (one of my roommates here), comfort on the recent death of a close friend. For Catherine (my roommate over there), strength to face certain trials. And for all of us, that God might continue to prepare our hearts for what we will face in the coming year, and that He will also prepare the hearts of our students.
Thank you.
Love,
Molly
1 comment:
Hey Molly,
Sorry I have been so out of touch. It sounds like you are in the right place and having a good experience. That makes me glad for you.
One thing. I need to mail that stuff to your parents still, but can't find where I put their address. Can you send it to me?
I miss you. Take care of yourself.
Nikki
Post a Comment