Saturday, February 23, 2013

Cemeteries, Cinnabon, and Sleepovers

Though there is a sizeable expat community in Baku, we've hardly met any Americans here.  Except for a Christmas party in December, we've mostly hung out with locals and people from other countries (including a surprising number from the Philippines).  But recently Jillann, a teacher who was here before us, put me in touch with her friend Elly.  Last weekend, for Colleen's birthday, she took us around to some of the sights we hadn't been to yet.
 
First stop was Martyr's Alley.  Part of a much larger cemetery, this particular section memorializes the deaths of approximately 93 civilians during a protest of Soviet rule on January 20, 1990.  It was sobering, walking down the row and seeing the pictures of those who had been killed.  The oldest we saw was a 77-year-old woman, and the youngest a 13-year-old girl.  
 

The very first one you see as you walk down the alley is a married couple.  The husband was killed in the massacre and the wife killed herself when she heard of it.  She was only 20.  It is so unbelievably sad.

 
Our day got a little more light hearted after that.  We enjoyed exploring a part of the city we'd never been to before, and took advantage of the new scenery to take some more fun team photos.
 


If it wasn't so hazy that day, you could see where we live across the bay.


With our new friend and the Flame Towers- still my favorite
(and definitely the most recognizable) landmark in Baku

Hungry after an afternoon of walking, we set off in search of... wait for it... Schlotzky's Deli and Cinnabon!  I didn't even know they had a Schlotzky's here, and I'd heard of the Cinnabon but hadn't experienced it yet.  A roast turkey sandwich and a cinnamon roll for dessert?  I'll take it. :)  Then home to spend the evening chilling with a movie.  Happy birthday Colleen!

 
 

While we were walking, Elly invited us to her place this weekend for a game night.  Since it took an hour and a half to get to her apartment from ours, we decided to make it a sleepover.  Three games, two movies, a pancake breakfast, and some guitar playing later, I am quite excited about our new friend.  I didn't realize quite how much I'd missed having an American friend.  ::contented sigh::  I needed this.

PS. I updated the "Pictures" page again.


No comments: