Saturday, March 19, 2011

Spring has Sprung!

Well, it's not exactly t-shirt weather here yet, but it's starting to feel like maybe it will be eventually (in the dead of winter, summer just seems like an insubstantiated rumor). Some signs that warm weather is around the corner:
  • I haven't worn my hat, gloves, or a scarf outside for over a week now
  • The snow and ice are starting to melt, though it's still piled taller than me on the side streets and in the parks
  • The sun is out most days (as opposed to the 3-4 times I saw it throughout the months of November and December)
  • On a walk with Anne earlier this week, we had our first encounter with Russian sunbathers- men and women who strip down to their underwear and stand (in the snow) against the wall of Peter and Paul fortress to soak up the sun!

March also brings with it Maslenitsa (or as I call it, blini week- blini being the super thin pancakes they make here), International Women's Day, and my birthday! It's a good month. :) To celebrate Maslenitsa, some of Erica's linguistics students from the fall (the same ones we went ice skating with) invited us over for blini. It was delicious, and a lot of fun, too. One of the girls had found a classic Russian movie with English subtitles, so we watched that after lunch. It was hysterical. I almost cried I was laughing so hard! Now I want to find a copy for myself to take home with me.

Women's Day was relatively uneventful for me, except that one of my linguistics classes gave me tulips. I told them that tulips were my favorite flowers, and they remembered and brought me some more for my birthday!


For my birthday, besides the shower of candy, flowers, and congratulations I got all day, My wonderful roommate promised to try her hand at homemade bagels! They were delicious, especially with the cream cheese she gave me that morning. And apparently there is some sort of birthday surprise in the works for tomorrow, but she's being very secretive. All in all, it's been a pretty awesome birthday. I'm telling you- March is a great month to be here in Russia!

No comments: