Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Americans in Karaganda

I love the American community we have here in Karaganda. It’s a pretty decent size, but still small enough that we all know one another. And we’ve got a good mix of people, of all ages and stages of life. There are the younger teachers, my age and a bit older, who are only here for a year or two, and there are young families who are staying here indefinitely, with children ranging from 3 to 16. Then there are a few older couples who go to our church, though I don’t see them much except for church and big group functions like Christmas.

This past Sunday one of the locals whose daughter works at Friendship School (where a lot of the other Americans work) invited us all over for the last day of маслэница (mahs-leh-NEE-tsah), otherwise known as blini week. If you’ve ever had a crepe, it’s basically the same thing. Anyway, she had apparently been cooking blini for 6 days (!), so there was quite a spread, with all kinds of toppings. True to form, I dripped the blueberry filling all down my shirt, but it was totally worth it. It was delicious. It was so much fun. We were all sitting around her living room talking and laughing and just enjoying each other’s company. It is times like that that make me sad that I’m not coming back next year. I’m really going to miss these people.

No comments: